February 15, 2005

Another day, another dollar

Thank you to all those parents who hire poor college students to babysit their kids.

That was how I spent Valentine's Day. Babysitting (and making a decent chunk of change). It made my singleness a little bit easier to bear. [Boy, don't I sound like a martyr. Please read that last sentence as toungue-in-cheek.]

Let me just say that this Valentine's Day was probably the most uneventful I've ever experienced. No calls, no cards, no flowers, no chocolate. And I didn't mind at all. I almost didn't even notice (except for the kids' cards, all the tv shows, and fellow bloggers posts). It really didn't phaze me. I confess, I felt a little pang of jealousy when my roommate opened up her Valentine's package from her folks, but not because it was for Valentine's Day, but because I haven't gotten a care package, or any kind of package, from my parents in what feels like a long time. One of the main ways I receive love, I've learned (see the five love languages) is gifts. Now don't interpret that to mean that my heart can be won with money. On the contrary, it's really the 'thought that counts.' A card with a heartfelt message written in it with a (corny) CD that my someone special mixed just for me can mean more than any diamond necklace.

Anyway, off that tangent and on to the next. Yesterday and today have been kind of wierd days [deleted rest of paragraph]

In the lab, today was a good day! I was able to blow an NMR tube, test it with the tesla coil, clean it, and dry it without breaking it. Now I just need to transfer in my sample and the solvent, seal it, and all will be fine and dandy!

Signing off,

J to the 9

No comments: