January 31, 2005

Note to a research advisor...

John,
I am really struggling with crystallizing my product (so I don't have NMR on it yet). I think I understand the concept, but I am having difficulty putting it into practice. I'll talk to Andy about it today. I came in yesterday, and earlier this morning, and I am just not having any success. I'm not sure if I'm just using the wrong solvents, or what.
Also, in anticipation of maybe being able to run an NMR, I attempted to blow an NMR tube (onto the vacuum attachment - whatever it's called) and it was also a miserable failure...let's just say that I suppose I took your advice to heart about making mistakes...now I just need help with the fixing. I had a few moments this weekend where I could sense that my head was 'starting to go down,' or however you put it so well. Then I thought back to what you said last week, and I kept on trying. I'm feeling a little discouraged/frustrated, because I feel like I should have a better idea of what I'm doing, yet I keep on coming up against stumbling blocks. I mean, this is the first time I've come in on a Saturday and a Sunday...and EARLY on a Monday (for me, that is HUGE), and I almost felt like crying due to the lack of visible progress (and because I feel like I should be doing better than I am).
I am trying to believe what you told me last week about how you know that I am capable of the PhD, and that I just need to believe it. I'm going to keep on trying to keep my head up!
I'll talk to you soon,
Janine

No comments: