September 21, 2005

Update Email

Hello all!

Today was a beautiful day in Chemnitz, clear skies and about 19 degrees (66 for you Fahrenheit folks out there). I walked downtown (about 15/20 min) and caught the bus there to the Brubakers apartment. They are actually in the States through the end of next week, speaking at churches (Steven), at a prayer advocates meeting (Celeste), and visiting their two oldest kids. So that means - you guessed it - I am teaching their English class, too!

English classes continue to go well, and I am over the first week-jitters. I had five new people at my English class on Monday, and one new person on Tuesday. I continue to be encouraged by the classes, and I am praying that by the end of the classes (in eight weeks) God will give the students a desire to find out more about Jesus, and to join a Bible study or discipleship group. I have had a few chances to get together with Ute, one of my students, already.

The "Kaffee und Kuchen" went well on Saturday. Several of my neighbors came, and one couple even brought their twin baby boys. I was being called Tante (Aunt) before the afternoon was through, and they are trying to convince me to stay for five years, not just one! I was so happy that some people came, as the Brubakers offered a similar sort of invitation to their neighbors before, and only one person came, out of pity!

I had a visit on Tuesday from Martha Moore and Deanna (pronounced Dee-na) Davis, two missionaries in Jena, a nearby city. They work with a (college) student ministry there and in neighboring Weimar. We only had about an hour to talk before my class started that evening, but I am looking forward to picking their brains for ideas for college outreach.

As I mentioned earlier, the Brubakers are out of town this week. The reality of being away from Knoxville hit me last Friday, and I had a minor meltdown. I really did not think that it would be so hard to be away from family, friends, and church (oh, how I love you!!). God, in His perfect plan - I praise Him for it - has brought me to a place where I HAVE to rely on Him. I have had to go through a (albeit short) valley, but I believe that He has brought me through it to a deeper, and more intimate relationship with Him. I have claimed Philippeans 4:6-7 for myself, and He has given me His peace. I have never lived by myself before, but I am learning what a blessing it is to be able to walk around all the time, reciting verses, and praying out loud. (If the walls in my living room could talk they'd tell you that the crazy lady is talking to the arm chair like there's really someone there!) The Holy Spirit has been revealing Himself to me so much this week! I am learning so much about what it means to submit myself to His authority, in all things, great and small.

Please pray for the English classes, that more people would come to them, and that they would desire to know more about Jesus, and ultimately be saved. Please pray for God to give me the opportunity, courage, and the right words to share the truth with my students, especially Ute. Please pray for God to continue to open doors with my neighbors, and for good relationships with them.

For the college outreach, please pray that God will give me the discernment and wisdom to know what His will is, and guidance as to what form the ministry will take. Classes start in the middle of October.

Thank you for your prayers - you are all such a blessing to me!

Love in Christ,

Janine Tessarzik

Clausstr. 110

09126 Chemnitz

Germany

http://photos.yahoo.com/jtessarzik

If this is the first email you have received from me, and you would like a copy of my first update, just reply and let me know!

No comments: